What's the difference between Taekwondo and Karate?
Whenever someone is considering beginning martial arts classes, they often ask, "How are tae kwon do and karate different?" Or, "Which is better?"
To answer this, we'll start by saying that both taekwondo and karate are excellent forms of martial arts training. Each offers numerous benefits.
The core principles of both Taekwondo (or Tae Kwon Do) and Karate stress self-discipline and a high code of personal conduct. Both have a sport competition aspect, however this makes up only part of the entire curriculum.
So, how are they different?
- Taekwondo emphasizes kicking techniques, while Karate focuses on hand strikes.
- Taekwondo originated in Korea, while Karate comes from Japan.
- Tae Kwon Do is an Olympic sport.
- Prearranged sequences of techniques, generally known as forms, are referred to as 'poomsae' in Taekwondo, and 'kata' in Karate
How to choose?
When trying to decide between a Tae Kwon Do or a Karate school, the decision to train in one martial art versus the other may come down to a personal preference of style. However keep in mind the following questions:
- What is the quality of the instruction?
- What does the facility look like?
- What is the atmosphere like?
- How does the class schedule work?
- Where are they located?
- Other factors?
These questions and answers may (and sometimes should) be more important in deciding which form of martial arts to study.
And remember that while websites and phone conversations are useful, it's also a good idea to visit the schools you are considering.
Are you located in the Winston-Salem, NC, Piedmont Triad, or Tega Cay, SC area?
See what a big difference martial arts classes at
Tiger Kim's Tae Kwon Do can make.
Try our FREE Martial Arts Trial Program.
We promise you'll find Tae Kwon Do to be
one of the best decisions you'll ever make.